Just say the word.

As a parent, one of the greatest joys in life are your child's firsts. The first time they roll over, the first step, first tooth, the first word. I used to swear to people my son as an infant was saying this or that. I know he said, "Mama" at a very young age. Sometimes, people would laugh at me, but I knew. Now my son is two, and the past few days have been amazing for me as a Mom. I've been worried that the pacifier attachment was hindering his speech, but now I think he just wasn't ready. He has been talking up a storm. We always call it "Polly parroting" when a child repeats everything you say. My son has been "Polly parroting" me the last few days like you wouldn't believe. I love it.

  I remember when I was younger my sister getting mad at me for being a "copycat" and repeating everything right after she said it. She would get to where she wouldn't talk at all, so I would start mimicking her actions instead. This brought me much joy to aggravate my sister, yes I was the baby of the family. (does it show?) Isn't it amazing how much weight can be put behind a word? or the lack of words. We have all heard of the silent treatment! (come on you KNOW you've used it before) 
 One of my favorite quotes is by Martin Luther King Jr. "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Our words are powerful.
 We can use them to build people up, or tear them down.

Oh I'm as guilty as anyone on saying mean things, and wishing later I could take it back, but I couldn't. Once you speak the words, they are no longer in your control. Think. Speak. Be Nice. ~Beck






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love This? Share It!