A fat girl walks into the gym...


...and no one laughs. Not much of a punch line, because this is no joke. I took a huge step out of my comfort zone, and walked into a gym on Monday.(True Story) I was very nervous, I don't know why, but in my head people would be pointing and laughing. I had envisioned lots of skinny people in perfect form doing every move along with the instructor, and looking at me with disgust as my arms flail around like a cat tossed in water. (Yes, I have a well oiled imagination.)



So, it didn't happen that way. Actually, it was great. There were other moms just like me, and some great ladies all at different health stages, all with a common goal. To be healthy. Which is my goal. The gym did have huge floor to ceiling mirrors, which made me laugh at myself a few times, but looking around the room. I wasn't the only one laughing, others were laughing too, but not at me. We all looked funny trying some of the super-fast dance moves, along with the music we were having trouble keeping up with. When an hour had went by and our instructor says we are done. I look up and can't believe I made it.

That hour of exercise marks the first step of me stepping away from being and feeling like the fat girl. I waited way too long to take this step out of fear. Sometimes fear and anxiety cause us to do silly things, like avoid going to the gym, and keep living a life we aren't proud of. I'm not proud of my body at this point, but I'm proud of myself for overcoming my fear, anxiety, and excuses..to walk into the gym. 

Are you holding back from living the life you really want 
because of fear, anxiety, or a long list of excuses? 

Let it all go, and take your first step.
 Leave me a comment, and let me know what you dream of doing! 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you and don't even know you!!! You're one up on me, I want to join a yoga class but can't seem to get enough will power to go to one!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Yoga looks like something that I would love to do when I've lost some weight! Just take the plunge, and sign up! You'll be so glad you did.

      Delete
  2. Congrats and this sounds so much like me. I've gained so much weight that I am afraid to go to the gym. I guess I muscle up and get about the business of working out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Its that first step and one I need to take too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! The hardest part is dragging yourself out of the house but once you are there it's great!

    ReplyDelete

Love This? Share It!