Untimed by Andy Gavin {Review and Book Tour}



My Review
After reading a short blurb about Untimed I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and start reading. I was intrigued by the story line since it was so different from anything else I've read or even heard about lately. These days I'm finding myself drawn to the Young Adult genre for the freedom the authors take in telling their story. Andy Gavin definitely took his liberty with Untimed. Who else would have the nerve to mess with Ben Franklin? I chuckled to myself at the thought.

Immediately I was sucked into Charlie's plight from the first sentence. I loved that the author doesn't take the time to build his story in the first few chapters he plunges you head first into the action. Feeling slightly off kilter from your lack of information you immediately identify with Charlie's need for answers. Who is the strange clockwork soldier guy? Where is Charlie's dad?  As you follow along with the time travelers you fill in the gaps just as new questions arise. Andy Gavin weaves his story in such a fashion that you are always wanting more, and anxiously reading to see what surprise comes with the next CHIME.

I was fully engaged reading through this book and found myself guessing at what twist time would hold for Charlie and his new-found girlfriend Yvaine. My imagination was stretched almost to it's limit with the coming and going of time travel. This book will start your wheels turning and keep them spinning until the end. Charlie travels back through time and forward to the future he didn't expect, all just trying to get home to his Mom. Meanwhile he's trying to keep those he loves safe from the Tick Tocks and time itself. In the final scenes of the story Charlie returns home to present time Philadelphia, but did he succeed in his all his missions? Well..you'll just have to read Untimed and find out! ~Becky

 A side note: The only theme that bothered me was the explicit content between Charlie and Yvaine. It was tame compared to so many I'm sure, but for me it just seemed too adult. Personally it made me feel uncomfortable knowing the characters were so young. Had I known this before reading it would not have changed my decision to read Untimed, but I feel readers should know in advance.




Untimed is an action-packed time travel novel by Andy Gavin, author of The Darkening Dream and creator of Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter.

Charlie is the kind of boy that no one notices. (Edited), even his own mother can’t remember
his name. And girls? The invisible man gets more dates.

As if that weren’t enough, when a mysterious clockwork man tries to kill him in modern day Philadelphia, and they tumble through a hole into 1725 London, Charlie realizes even the laws of time don’t take him seriously.

Still, this isn’t all bad. In fact, there’s this girl, another time traveler, who not only remembers his name, but might even like him! Unfortunately, Yvaine carries more than her share of baggage: like a baby boy and at least two ex-boyfriends! One’s famous, the other’s murderous, and Charlie doesn’t know who the bigger problem is.

When one kills the other — and the other is nineteen year-old Ben Franklin — things get really crazy. Can their relationship survive? Can the future? Charlie and Yvaine are time travelers, they can fix this — theoretically — but the rules are complicated and the stakes are history as we know it.

And there's one more wrinkle: he can only travel into the past, and she can only travel into the future!


A lavish production with a cover by acclaimed fantasy artist Cliff Nielsen and twenty one full page interior illustrations by Dave Phillips.




About Andy Gavin

Andy Gavin is an unstoppable storyteller who studied for his Ph.D. at M.I.T. and founded video game developer Naughty Dog, Inc. at the age of fifteen, serving as co-president for two decades. There he created, produced, and directed over a dozen video games, including the award winning and best selling Crash
Bandicoot
and Jak & Daxter franchises, selling over 40 million
units worldwide. He sleeps little, reads novels and histories, watches media obsessively, travels, and of course, writes.








Buy the book from ....


  
Printed                   Ebook


I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all views and opinions are my own honest thoughts and evaluations.



1 comment:

Love This? Share It!